Saturday, October 3, 2015

Creativity in Understanding History is Only as Fine as the Day’s Details



Ignoring details drives me crazy. I read this article and thought I would share.




Some Thoughts on the 'Boring' Social Studies

By Greg Milo 



I love this article. This is exactly how I feel in many classes. Good questions and ideas pop into my head and most times I get the horrible feeling I would be the one boy outlier who listed the written details of what I would like to understand better. I recognize it won't be on the test, so I think inside I should look it up on my own.  But, I need a better way to record all the available information so I can note what I want to look up later. 



Good history teaches so many interesting lessons that trigger the leeway for us to have understanding about the intricate details that lead to governments justifying war, or the true giving of ingenuity for solving problems. I need to have this available insight so I could literally not try to reinvent the wheel.



Wheels have been done to death, and the point of studying history is to move forward smoothly. So, instead of making more wheels we should be addressing steering.  …By the way, that has been done too. The point is the history around the event is more interesting to understand because the toll of collective details gingerly describes a world that we can relate to, and how people made decisions based on many things. These are called little multifaceted elements that matter if we are really looking to not repeat the outright mistakes and atrocities of the long ago past.